This program was started as a project with financial support from DANIDA in 1996 with financial support from DANIDA and will finally phase out by end of the 2006-2007 financial year (June 2007).
The main objective of the Soil Survey Program is:
To ensure that the necessary soil information is made available to optimise the use of land suited for agriculture, horticulture, pastures or forestry.
SSU capabilities & Services
The Program has the following capabilities to:
- Carryout soil survey and land suitability/capability evaluation at various scales,
- Carryout land degradation surveys and recommend mitigating measures,
- Provide technical support on sustainable land management practices,
- Building the Bhutan Soil Databank (BHUSOD) for storing & sharing the soil data, etc.
List of soil surveys completed as of Jan 2007
Detailed soil surveys completed; reports and maps issued
- RNR-RC, Yusipang (1:2500)
- RNR-RC, Bajo (1:2000)
- RNR-RC, Jakar (1:1600)
- RNR-RC, Khangma (1:2000)
- Royal Botanic Garden, Serbithang (1:2000)
- RNR-RC new site, Wyengkhar (1:1667& 1:1000)
- Darla RNR sub-centre, Gedu (1:2000)
- Bhur farm (RNR sub-centre), Gelephu (1:3500)
- Yusipang Demonstration Plot (1:1000)
- Lingmethang RNR Sub-centre, Monggar (1:3000)
- Nangkor RNR Sub-centre, P/gatshel (1:1000)
- Ramtokto Orchard, Thimphu (1 :1200)
Semi detailed soil surveys completed; reports and maps issued
- Radhi watershed (1:25000)
- Lingmutey Chhu watershed (1:25000)
- Lame Gompa, Jakar (1:16667)
- Nyakulumpa, Punakha (1:12500)
- Sangma Ri watershed, Drametse (1:25000)
- Wochu Watershed, Paro (1:25,000)
General reconnaissance soil surveys completed; reports issued
- Soils of Merak-Sakten (soil map not produced)
Semi-detailed soil survey fieldwork complete; reporting under progress
- Upper Puna Tsang Chhu, Punakha (1:25000) – reporting in hand
Land management (campaign) report
- Land management campaign at Tsakaling (Mongar) & Samcholing (Trongsa)
- Land degradation assessment at Balam, Mongar
- Land management campaign sites for 2007 in Zhemgang
Other technical documents & systems:
- Version 3 of Soil Survey Handbook for Bhutan issued and in use.
- Draft Land Suitability Evaluation System compiled and in use.
- Draft Land Capability Classification compiled and in use.
- Draft system for soil series for Bhutan compiled and in use.
- National soil databank of Bhutan (BHUSOD) established and in use.